Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Right Age for a Sleepover

My daughter was invited to her first sleepover next weekend. I have midterms, so it is impossible for me to spend the night with her. To tell the truth, the thought of spending 3 o'clock on a Saturday to sometime Sunday morning with a gaggle of six-year-old girls makes my spine ache.

It also caused a fearful tightening in my chest. Is six a little young for overnights? I am sure some of this depends on how well you know the host parents (we have only met once) and on your child's individual level of independence.

My daughter is capable of spending a night away from home. She has to do just that every other weekend. But sleepovers are a different situation entirely.

In your opinion, what is the "right" age for overnights? When did your children start attending sleepovers, or when will you allow them to start attending sleepovers? Are the "rules" different for boys and girls? Should they be?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I personally will probably wait until my son is at least 4 to host a sleep over. I just don't have the energy to get into it and make it a truly fun and comfortable experience for all persons involved right now. However, I think that if other moms have the energy and time, are trust worthy (i.e. a parent feels thier child will be safe with those adults overnight), and the child shows a desire to sleep over, that it could be a super duper fun time. We mommies need breaks. Sometimes we have to help eachother out to get them.